Gas prices
Spamvireslayer
2006-05-12 14:22:06 UTC
Went up .14 overnight. This is after them going down to 2.79 and then creeping back
up to 2.85 this week - now, just before the weekend, 2.99. What's driving the price
change, anyone?
JohnL
2006-05-12 14:34:28 UTC
Premium at my corner station is $3.599 - but my geographic area is
'anomalous' even for the state of CA.
Where are you? Near Baker???
Mike Easter
2006-05-12 17:07:18 UTC
"Mike Easter"
Premium at my corner station is $3.599 - but my geographic area is
'anomalous' even for the state of CA.
Where are you? Near Baker???
San Diego County, CA.

CA gasoline, especially in those counties with emission control 'blends'
which change with the seasons, often find themselves with the
distributors buying their gasoline from less competitive sources [as if
there were any competition these days]. In addition, the distribution
networks for narrow channels [the channels for CA gasoline are narrower
than the channels for non-CA gasoline] tend to be more limited -- even
tho' San Diego is a 'big' metro area, it gets its distro from LA.

Each distribution 'excuse' for jacking up the price is taken advantage
of by some fractions of a dollar, as exemplified by premium gas
typically costing 40¢ more a gallon than reg, and SD gas costing some
20¢ more than LA, and CA gas costing some 25¢ more than some other state
etc etc. In reality, each of those boosts should be only worth a cent
or five instead of some number of dimes.
--
Mike Easter
kibitzer, not SC admin
JohnL
2006-05-12 17:16:38 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
"Mike Easter"
Premium at my corner station is $3.599 - but my geographic area is
'anomalous' even for the state of CA.
Where are you? Near Baker???
San Diego County, CA.
<snip>

Still got you beat here....
Went down just a bit to

$1.049/liter = $3.97/gallon.

But British Columbia is higher yet...
$1.217/liter = $4.606/gallon !!!

Guess it's not long when it will be over $5/gallon up here. :(
Maggie's Mom
2006-05-12 18:25:14 UTC
"Spamvireslayer" <***@spamcop.net> wrote in message : (...) What's
driving the price
change, anyone?

Not "what". "Who".

Bush.

As ever, - Maggie's Mom.
Frog Prince
2006-05-12 18:16:29 UTC
"JohnL" <***@in.newsgroup.only> wrote in message news:***@216.154.195.61...
| "Mike Easter" <***@ster.invalid> wrote in news:e42fc3$b8o$1
| @news.spamcop.net:
|
| > JohnL wrote:
| >> "Mike Easter"

| >> Where are you? Near Baker???
| >
| > San Diego County, CA.
| >
| <snip>
|
| Still got you beat here....
| Went down just a bit to
|
| $1.049/liter = $3.97/gallon.
|
| But British Columbia is higher yet...
| $1.217/liter = $4.606/gallon !!!
|
| Guess it's not long when it will be over $5/gallon up here. :(

I've figured out how to (partially) run my vehicles (and lawn mower) on a
mix of regular gas and propane. Which is neat as my son has a deal to up
grade propane tanks (used on BBQ and RVs). Most come at least 1/2 full of
propane. (process won't last as at some point all the propane tanks will be
converted but in the mean time ...)
indigo
2006-05-15 14:07:14 UTC
Frog Prince wrote:
. :(
Post by Frog Prince
I've figured out how to (partially) run my vehicles (and lawn mower)
on a mix of regular gas and propane. Which is neat as my son has a
deal to up grade propane tanks (used on BBQ and RVs). Most come at
least 1/2 full of propane. (process won't last as at some point all
the propane tanks will be converted but in the mean time ...)
I use to drive a dual-fuel vehicle for a job I had a long time ago. The guy
who owned the company also filled LPG tanks for campers and grills, so he
got it cheap. Truck ran on both LPG and gasoline, all I had to do was flip a
switch. Didn't notice a bit of difference in performance either.
Mr K. Mean
2006-05-12 18:43:48 UTC
Post by JohnL
Still got you beat here....
Went down just a bit to
$1.049/liter = $3.97/gallon.
But British Columbia is higher yet...
$1.217/liter = $4.606/gallon !!!
Guess it's not long when it will be over $5/gallon up here. :(
I saw it going for £1.04/litre when I was up in Skye. That seemed super
expensive to me.
JohnL
2006-05-15 14:08:31 UTC
You're kidding! It's never been more than 10 cents over regular where
I live, that's why I buy it (and the mfg says only premium gas too).
Doesn't make much sense to not buy it to say a buck fifty a week is my
view.
Here it's 10 cents a liter more, almost 38 cents a gallon.
indigo
Mike Easter
kibitzer, not SC admin
dwåcôn
2006-05-12 23:08:47 UTC
Greed?
DougW
2006-05-13 01:23:17 UTC
"Spamvireslayer" wrote ...
Post by Spamvireslayer
Went up .14 overnight. This is after them going down to 2.79 and then creeping back
up to 2.85 this week - now, just before the weekend, 2.99. What's driving the price
change, anyone?
Greed?
The market economics of fear.
DougW
D.F. Manno
2006-05-13 20:46:30 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Went up .14 overnight. This is after them going down to 2.79
and then creeping back up to 2.85 this week - now, just before
the weekend, 2.99. What's driving the price change, anyone?
In some areas there are restrictions on how often stations can raise prices. For
example, rest areas on the N.J. Turnpike can only raise prices once a week.
--
D.F. Manno | ***@mail.com
Had enough? Vote Democratic!
Turan Fettahoglu
2006-05-15 09:09:46 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
now, just before the weekend, 2.99.
Don't you ever complain about high petrol prices. In Germany you pay some
1.35 Euro per litre of regular unleaded. This amounts to 6.69 $ per US
gallon.

It seems the party is over and we should get used to bicycles and horses
again - before the last gallon of oil has been burned.

Turan
Heidi
2006-05-15 11:23:47 UTC
Post by Turan Fettahoglu
Post by Spamvireslayer
now, just before the weekend, 2.99.
Don't you ever complain about high petrol prices. In Germany you pay some
1.35 Euro per litre of regular unleaded. This amounts to 6.69 $ per US
gallon.
It seems the party is over and we should get used to bicycles and horses
again - before the last gallon of oil has been burned.
Again, that's an unfair comparison. How much of that 1.35 euros per liter
is goverment taxes? NH's is .39, or was in 2002
http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/statistics/gas_taxes_by_state_2002.html

Seems to be, UK is the worst:
http://www.opec.org/library/Special%20publications/pdf/2001.pdf
Turan Fettahoglu
2006-05-15 14:18:22 UTC
Post by Heidi
http://www.opec.org/library/Special%20publications/pdf/2001.pdf
How much of that 1.35 euros per liter
is goverment taxes? NH's is .39, or was in 2002
The difference between the European and the American prices!

No matter if the taxes are higher or lower: there only is a finite amount of
petroleum available, and we might well live to see it.

just my two cents
Turan
Turan Fettahoglu
2006-05-16 14:21:12 UTC
... they
keep finding more of that finite supply all of the time. Not to mention
learning how to exploit things that already exist (tar sands, oil shale).
In the past several years, the amount of newly discovered oil always was
below the yearly consumption. Finite still is finite, like it or not.

Turan
Kenneth Brody
2006-05-16 15:25:16 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Went up .14 overnight. This is after them going down to 2.79 and then
creeping back up to 2.85 this week - now, just before the weekend, 2.99.
What's driving the price change, anyone?
Umm... A president whose family made their millions in the oil business?
Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:***@gmail.com>