Happy Spring.....
Heidi
2006-05-14 19:31:45 UTC
not...... we've had nothing but heavy, steady rain since Friday night and
it's still pouring buckets. Worst I've seen in ten years, since the last
time they closed all the roads around me. Nice living on a hill, but
unfortunately you can't go anywhere!
http://www.wmur.com/news/9211677/detail.html#
Heidi
2006-05-14 20:51:24 UTC
Well, poop! I'd love some rain! Like, now! Like, lots! Please! I, uh,
started 3 bonfires and, um, it is not quite as wet out as would be
ideal...
But only 3 of them got out of control... I have, since, safely
extinguished one of them, one is soon to go away on its own and the third,
well, it looks like it will burn for a few more days at least...
That sounds kinda nuts to be starting bonfires when it's so dry where you
are. Look at our "storm total" rainfall.
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=NTP&rid=BOX&loop=yes
JAYSUS!
Skiwi
2006-05-15 09:00:45 UTC
Post by Heidi
not...... we've had nothing but heavy, steady rain since Friday night and
it's still pouring buckets. Worst I've seen in ten years, since the last
time they closed all the roads around me. Nice living on a hill, but
unfortunately you can't go anywhere!
http://www.wmur.com/news/9211677/detail.html#
so mentioning our Seattle 83 degree day tomorrow (hottest since 1958)
and the 2nd driest May on record *so far* is maybe not appropriate?
JohnL
2006-05-15 13:46:14 UTC
Post by Skiwi
so mentioning our Seattle 83 degree day tomorrow (hottest since 1958)
and the 2nd driest May on record *so far* is maybe not appropriate?
Not quite as dry, but no rain and 81 tomorrow.
No floods here either. ;-)
Heidi
2006-05-15 14:14:34 UTC
Post by JohnL
Not quite as dry, but no rain and 81 tomorrow.
No floods here either. ;-)
Well, I made it to work via the last available route, I-95. There is a low
part that is next to a tidal river, which was coming up over the road on the
southbound side. As I drove into the office, they put out a warning that
the river was broaching the road again, still rising, still pouring rain and
high tide was two hours away, so I turned right around and came home while I
still could. This is damn scary. The road I usually take to work goes over
a low lying swamp, which is now a good 1-2 feet under water, and on my way
home I drove down that way to get a picture, which I didn't get because it
started raining again. People are still trying to drive through it,
dumbasses, and there's a car stuck up to it's grille. As I went through
town there was one spot where a funeral home is under water, and I suspect
the sewers are backing up because I smelled something very bad. The sewage
ponds are next to another tidal river, and I suspect that's overflowing as
well.

This is bad......
Heidi
2006-05-15 14:20:27 UTC
"Heidi" <***@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:e4a2qq$nmk$***@news.spamcop.net...

http://www.stockbridgefuneralhome.com/FuneralHome/

This guy's got water up to his railings......
Frog Prince
2006-05-15 15:15:50 UTC
"Heidi" <***@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:e4a35q$nu0$***@news.spamcop.net...

| "Heidi" <***@spamcop.net> wrote in message
|
| http://www.stockbridgefuneralhome.com/FuneralHome/
|
| This guy's got water up to his railings......

It's OK FEMA has everthing under control ... they sent all the supplies
(both trucks) to the Gulf Coast.
Redstone
2006-05-17 03:51:22 UTC
Post by Frog Prince
It's OK FEMA has everthing under control ... they sent all the supplies
(both trucks) to the Gulf Coast.
Instead of taking precautions, why not just go up on the roof and wait for
that $2000 check? :-)
Frog Prince
2006-05-17 13:41:13 UTC
"Redstone"

we ARE coming up on mid term elections.
Redstone
2006-05-18 10:07:23 UTC
That we are.. unfortunately niether side has a worthwhile plan.
Frog Prince
2006-05-18 13:25:35 UTC
"Redstone"

| > we ARE coming up on mid term elections.
| >

| That we are.. unfortunately neither side has a worthwhile plan.

Right now I'd settle for a more even p*ssing and moaning field. At lease
we'd get a better set of checks and balances to the Scrub's (sic) abuse.
Heidi
2006-05-17 23:50:15 UTC
cripes, i hope none of the bodies has floated off!
I didn't see any, I guess that's a good sign.....
Redstone
2006-05-17 03:43:31 UTC
Post by Heidi
[...]
And you should of seen Route 1 in Saugus.. and all those SUVs that thought
they could "splash" their way through that river. :-)
Skiwi
2006-05-17 04:15:36 UTC
Redstone wrote:

[snip]
Post by Redstone
And you should of seen Route 1 in Saugus.. and all those SUVs that thought
they could "splash" their way through that river. :-)
When I used to be a ski bum, I used to love all Vancouver people up in
their SUVs that thought they were invulnerable - the tow truck driver
made a KILLING every winter!
Redstone
2006-05-18 10:11:55 UTC
Post by Skiwi
When I used to be a ski bum, I used to love all Vancouver people up in
their SUVs that thought they were invulnerable - the tow truck driver
made a KILLING every winter!
Not to mention that 4-wheel drive does not equal 4-wheel stop. Many icey
New England winters have I experienced where these guys jam on their brakes
and go sailing into a busy intersection at 50 mph.
indigo
2006-05-18 14:15:50 UTC
The only time that I ever got stuck was at the top of an icy hill.
there was too much torque and my wheels would just spin. It's the only
time I ever had to break out the chains.
Thank ghod for traction control ;-) But remember to turn it off if you do
manage to slide off the road and you're trying to rock the car out of the
snow pile! Burned brakes don't smell real peachy......
indigo
2006-05-18 16:23:11 UTC
Post by indigo
Thank ghod for traction control ;-)
Don't have it, so I wouldn't know.
Saved my butt many times. My first Thunderbird SuperCoupe (over 300 ft-lbs
of torque at the rear wheels) was completely undrivable in snow/ice, and
quite dangerous just in the rain. My second one had traction control, could
even drive that on ice, albeit at about 5 mph.

Spamvireslayer
2006-05-17 13:55:01 UTC
Post by Redstone
And you should of seen Route 1 in Saugus.. and all those SUVs that thought
they could "splash" their way through that river. :-)
I saw it and I was glad I didn't have to go that way, it ended up closed for a
couple of days, I think one lane is getting by now.
Redstone
2006-05-18 10:13:32 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
I saw it and I was glad I didn't have to go that way, it ended up closed for a
couple of days, I think one lane is getting by now.
Crowded enough with both lanes.. a single lane would be a nightmare for the
morning/evening commute. (Needs to be expanded like they did with Route 3 a
few years back.)
kram
2006-05-17 04:27:35 UTC
In e49fvu$b4o$***@news.spamcop.net
Skiwi blathered:
|| Heidi wrote:
||| not...... we've had nothing but heavy, steady rain since Friday
||| night and it's still pouring buckets. Worst I've seen in ten
||| years, since the last time they closed all the roads around me.
||| Nice living on a hill, but unfortunately you can't go anywhere!
||| http://www.wmur.com/news/9211677/detail.html#
|| so mentioning our Seattle 83 degree day tomorrow (hottest since 1958)
|| and the 2nd driest May on record *so far* is maybe not appropriate?

And my 102 degrees on Mother's Day is already history - though it was 98
today - and it dripped a little from the sky (couldn't really call it rain -
it didn't have enough oomph).

How about a little water relocation project? Send some of your east coast
overages to my end of the desert.
--
kk
==