Where is everyone?
indigo
2006-04-24 17:05:17 UTC
JohnL, FP, Borg, etc.....all MIA for over a week in here? Y'all are
making me work nearly 8 hours a day by not posting anything, dammit!
Heck, for that matter where are Bill and Pete? They've been MIA
for a while now.
Yeah, speaking of Pete and Bill (I *did* say "etc." ;-).....something over
the weekend made me think of him and then how long it's been since he posted
here....can't recall what it was at the moment. Bill I assume is working
many long hours to make ends meet.
indigo
2006-04-24 18:06:11 UTC
JohnL, FP, Borg, etc.....all MIA for over a week in here?
HMPH!
You posted within the last week :-P
Borgholio
2006-04-24 23:21:00 UTC
JohnL, FP, Borg, etc.....all MIA for over a week in here? Y'all are making
me work nearly 8 hours a day by not posting anything, dammit!
We need a good political/religious fight to get things going again, I've
decided......see, I'm the decider, and I've decided that's what we need, ya
hear?
So the topic is...should the President have sent 180,000 of our already
spread too thin troops into Khazistan to set up a peacekeeping roadblock
between the Russians and Chinese? I think it's a terrible idea, meself.
Been kinda keeping to myself lately. Final stages of fingerwork before
I actually physically speak to realtors and go on open house tours. I'm
feeling the stress of moving long before it actually happens. :) But
hey, I've been lurking frequently.
indigo
2006-04-25 13:03:06 UTC
Ain't that how the Unabomber got started?
Borgholio
2006-04-26 20:06:17 UTC
Try as I might, I could not find any place within driving distance that
I found to my liking. So this means I'll need to fly out and take a
look around. Since plane ticket prices are pretty much the same for the
entire Northwest, I have expanded my search to be pretty much the entire
western half of Oregon, or the western half / northern border with CA,
eastern border with ID part of Washington. :) I've already spoken with
a couple realtors and as soon as I get some more free time during the
week I hope to speak with some more.
Southwest have some great fares at the moment. I'm off to NY next week for
only $99 each way, stopping off in Baltimore to wave at Indi on my way LOL.
What's your timeline for closing a deal? Do you hope to have something
before winter starts?
No timeline...just soon. :)
indigo
2006-04-27 16:26:07 UTC
Southwest have some great fares at the moment. I'm off to NY next
week for only $99 each way, stopping off in Baltimore to wave at Indi
on my way LOL.
Heh. You'll literally fly almost right over my house during either landing
or takeoff. You can definitely see my developement from the left hand side
of the airplane during the landing approach. Look for a white rancher with
blue shutters and doors ;-)
indigo
2006-04-27 17:50:39 UTC
Post by indigo
Heh. You'll literally fly almost right over my house during either
landing or takeoff. You can definitely see my developement from the
left hand side of the airplane during the landing approach. Look
for a white rancher with blue shutters and doors ;-)
ROFL... guess I'd better bring my telescope huh?
Don't need one unless you're trying to make out my house number ;-)
indigo
2006-04-27 18:18:20 UTC
Post by indigo
Don't need one unless you're trying to make out my house number ;-)
You live right under the flight path? Doesn't it get a bit noisy?
Not directly under it, maybe a mile or two from it? The noise used to be
horrendous, especially the 2-4 am UPS and FedEx freight carrier take offs,
but they enacted noise laws maybe 5-6 years ago for jet engines and that cut
down the noise about 80% (the house used to shake at times).
Eponym
2006-04-27 23:56:12 UTC
Post by indigo
Not directly under it, maybe a mile or two from it? The noise used to
be horrendous, especially the 2-4 am UPS and FedEx freight carrier
take offs, but they enacted noise laws maybe 5-6 years ago for jet
engines and that cut down the noise about 80% (the house used to shake
at times).
Cripes, what a drag. Do they usually come in from the east or the west? I
assume they don't take off AND land over your house at least! What did the
noise law do, tell them they couldn't take off between certain hours or
force them to use quieter planes?
At LAX they tend to come in over land from the east during the day but
overnight, winds permitting, they approach from the ocean so as to keep
the
noise down.
Lindberg Field in San Diego is bad...doesn't matter much where they're
coming from or which way they take off.
indigo
2006-04-28 20:16:43 UTC
Heh. Yeah, nearly due west, I think. I found a satellite photo of my
neighborhood on Google, IIRC, could see my house pretty well. Her
"grid" ain't quite fine enough to me though, LOL.
You have cooties, I don't want to find you now.... ;)
Hardee har....
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 19:55:14 UTC
indigo
2006-04-28 12:30:55 UTC
Post by indigo
Not directly under it, maybe a mile or two from it? The noise used
to be horrendous, especially the 2-4 am UPS and FedEx freight
carrier take offs, but they enacted noise laws maybe 5-6 years ago
for jet engines and that cut down the noise about 80% (the house
used to shake at times).
Cripes, what a drag. Do they usually come in from the east or the
west? I assume they don't take off AND land over your house at least!
What did the noise law do, tell them they couldn't take off between
certain hours or force them to use quieter planes?
I can't hear landing planes at all, but I can see them fine. It's full
afterburner take-offs that make the most noise! (haha, turbofans ain't got
afterburners). They take of to the Northwest, so they pass north of my
house. It was a federal law that mandated quieter engines all over the USA.
Freighters had longer to convert than passenger jets, and BWI is a big
UPS/FedEx hub.
indigo
2006-04-28 19:30:48 UTC
They make a fair bit of noise when they land and use reverse thrust
but I guess it doesn't last very long compared to take off.
I'm too far away to be able to hear the thrusters, I'm like 8-10 miles from
the airport by road.
So you're west of the airport then? Hmm... that narrows Heidi's
search grid down a bit LOL
indigo
2006-05-01 13:41:51 UTC
Heh. Yeah, nearly due west, I think. I found a satellite photo of my
neighborhood on Google, IIRC, could see my house pretty well. Her
"grid" ain't quite fine enough to me though, LOL.
Well it may take her a week instead of a month of searching and now
she knows she has to find a white rancher with blue shutters and
doors! LOL
She's not interested anymore *sniffle*....I have COOTIES........
Spamvireslayer
2006-05-01 14:12:11 UTC
And those are even worse than the 'boy cooties' you already had! ;>
Borgholio
2006-04-26 16:44:07 UTC
Post by Borgholio
Been kinda keeping to myself lately. Final stages of fingerwork
before I actually physically speak to realtors and go on open house
tours. I'm feeling the stress of moving long before it actually
happens. :) But hey, I've been lurking frequently.
Where have you decided upon?
Chris F. Willoughby

indigo
2006-04-25 13:02:39 UTC
Right now I'm trying to protect his wife from his family. One kid
had not spoken to him in 15+ years, the other infrequently and then
only at such time that the kid needed something. His x-wife has
also shown up.
Obviously you have bigger issues to deal with than keeping me amused....good
luck.
Frog Prince
2006-04-26 02:50:09 UTC
"indigo" <***@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:e2l6lf$1va$***@news.spamcop.net...

| Frog Prince wrote:
| > Right now I'm trying to protect his wife from his family. One kid
| > had not spoken to him in 15+ years, the other infrequently and then
| > only at such time that the kid needed something. His x-wife has
| > also shown up.
|
| Obviously you have bigger issues to deal with than keeping me
amused....good
| luck.

Actually this group has kept me sane (as much as that can be accomplished)
through a lot of hard times.
Frog Prince
2006-04-26 02:54:22 UTC
"Sylvesterthekat" <***@privacy.net> wrote in message news:***@216.154.195.61...
| "indigo" <***@spamcop.net> wrote in
|
| > JohnL, FP, Borg, etc.....all MIA for over a week in here? Y'all are
| > making me work nearly 8 hours a day by not posting anything, dammit!
|
| :o(
| guess I'm an etcetera
|

| > We need a good political/religious fight to get things going again,
| > I've decided......see, I'm the decider, and I've decided that's what
| > we need, ya hear?
|
| LOL, and you know I'm a necessary component for that eh?
|
| Let's talk about the price of gas instead, I'm sure everyone is real
pissed
| about THAT!

Caught King George on TV this AM NOW!(??) he's concerned about the price of
gas. Want to bet the solution is to gut the EPA rules on pollution (which
will be a big benefit ($$$) to the oil companies)
Frog Prince
2006-04-26 02:52:01 UTC
"Sylvesterthekat"
| "Frog Prince"
|
| > Right now I'm trying to protect his wife from his family. One kid had
| > not spoken to him in 15+ years, the other infrequently and then only
| > at such time that the kid needed something. His x-wife has also
| > shown up.
| >

| are they circling like vultures or something?

the usual ... they smell money but based on what I've found in the files all
of daddy's money was spent keeping the kids alive or bailing them out of
trouble. Wife left the kids and a lot of bills with dad when she bailed.
Frog Prince
2006-04-26 03:17:46 UTC

Insurance does not go through probate.
JohnL
2006-04-26 03:20:58 UTC
JohnL, FP, Borg, etc.....all MIA for over a week in here? Y'all are
making me work nearly 8 hours a day by not posting anything, dammit!
Well, I'm down in Calgary abd my S.O. is in the hospital. She had her
surgery yesterday morning, and so far, NOT so good. All her old pains are
actually worse and of course she has new ones due to the surgery itself.
Only time will tell and hopefully over the next few days it will get
better.

(and I totally HATE the keyboard on this #@$#@$ lqaptop!)

Oh,and due to the slow and screwed up connection here, I can't even respond
to emails! (Hi Heidi)
Heidi
2006-04-26 03:21:48 UTC
Post by JohnL
Well, I'm down in Calgary abd my S.O. is in the hospital. She had her
surgery yesterday morning, and so far, NOT so good. All her old pains are
actually worse and of course she has new ones due to the surgery itself.
Only time will tell and hopefully over the next few days it will get
better.
Oh,and due to the slow and screwed up connection here, I can't even respond
to emails! (Hi Heidi)
Hi John,

Glad you checked in anyway - hang in there till she has a few days to take
stock, hopefully it will have made some improvment overall, I imagine
everything's a bit raw now. :(
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-26 12:39:10 UTC
They say she will probably be going home this weekend, hope so. Also hope
the pain is lower by then.
Her old worst steady pain was 7 to 8 out of 10. Today it's been 9 PLUS and
more! Makes me feel like shit, so helpless to do much.
But she's strong, a hell of a lot stronger than I am.
Well, since the doctor said he could make her better, I'd certainly hold him to
it......
JohnL
2006-04-26 14:54:27 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
They say she will probably be going home this weekend, hope so. Also
hope the pain is lower by then.
Her old worst steady pain was 7 to 8 out of 10. Today it's been 9
PLUS and more! Makes me feel like shit, so helpless to do much.
But she's strong, a hell of a lot stronger than I am.
Well, since the doctor said he could make her better, I'd certainly
hold him to it......
Well maybe I'm being naive, but her surgeon seems to be trying and we
understand there are no guarantees when it comes to this type of surgery.
He even said before the operation that while there is a 60 to 70% chance
of big improvement, there is also 30 to 40% of none. Which has been
Ronnie's experience in the past.
Whatever the outcome, she says this is her last time. I just hope when I
get there today she is feeling at least a little better.
She has a "Pain Management team" assigned to her. Before the surgery they
were talking about getting down to a "maintenance doseage" for her
Morphine by the time she left the hospital. Now they are saying she will
probable leave on a HIGHER dose, and it's up to us to decide when to
start lowing it. Hopefully we can start reducing it fairly quickly.
JohnL
2006-04-26 04:57:56 UTC
Post by Heidi
Glad you checked in anyway - hang in there till she has a few days to
take stock, hopefully it will have made some improvment overall, I
imagine everything's a bit raw now. :(
Well, got to say I was going crazy, couldn't send email, post or anything,
finally got to post here at least.
20K connect speed is the shits!!!

indigo
2006-04-26 14:57:44 UTC
Post by JohnL
JohnL, FP, Borg, etc.....all MIA for over a week in here? Y'all are
making me work nearly 8 hours a day by not posting anything, dammit!
Well, I'm down in Calgary abd my S.O. is in the hospital. She had her
surgery yesterday morning, and so far, NOT so good. All her old pains
are actually worse and of course she has new ones due to the surgery
itself. Only time will tell and hopefully over the next few days it
will get better.
Say WHAT?! I thought she wasn't having another surgery because of the risk
it might make it worse?
indigo
2006-04-26 15:19:54 UTC
Post by indigo
Say WHAT?! I thought she wasn't having another surgery because of
the risk it might make it worse?
Well, she wanted to give it one more try. Hopefully things will
improve. I had to really bite my tongue, once I told her my feelings
(NOT wanting her to have it), the final decision had to be hers.
We all have our hopes of it getting better, it really couldn't get
much worse, she was already using two canes, and if going to the Mall
for a walk, she used a walker.
She's too young for all this shit!!
Well best of luck to the both of you!

Me, I think I'm going back home right now......I feel terrible. Didn't get
into work until an hour ago either. Guessing my Lymes test from yesterday is
going to turn out to still be positive .....
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-26 15:36:16 UTC
Post by indigo
Me, I think I'm going back home right now......I feel terrible. Didn't get
into work until an hour ago either. Guessing my Lymes test from yesterday is
going to turn out to still be positive .....
Of course it will, it hasn't even been a month yet, has it? Did you get someone to
order a CD57 test? That will tell you how your treatment is progressing, the lower
it is, the more you're still infected.
indigo
2006-04-27 16:08:28 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Post by indigo
Me, I think I'm going back home right now......I feel terrible.
Didn't get into work until an hour ago either. Guessing my Lymes
test from yesterday is going to turn out to still be positive .....
Of course it will, it hasn't even been a month yet, has it? Did you
get someone to order a CD57 test? That will tell you how your
treatment is progressing, the lower it is, the more you're still
infected.
I had blood drawn for a western blot on Tuesday. Don't think I've had a CD57
test done at all. Man, I felt like roadkill yesterday, today ain't much
better. Have the full blown IBS and fatigue symptoms back, haven't felt like
that in nearly a month. I did read that the 3rd or 4th week of oral
antibiotics can be the worst symptom-wise, so I guess that's the period I'm
going thru now. At least my knee pain is gone......
indigo
2006-04-27 17:49:36 UTC
at least for you there should be an end in sight... getting treated
for your problem is seemingly half the battle
Yeah, I'm just kinda bummed that I got slammed so hard. I was feeling soooo
much better in the last week, almost back to normal. Wait, I don't remember
what "normal" feels like!
indigo
2006-04-27 18:21:05 UTC
Post by indigo
Yeah, I'm just kinda bummed that I got slammed so hard. I was
feeling soooo much better in the last week, almost back to normal.
Wait, I don't remember what "normal" feels like!
Hopefully it will pass soon. Think positive - it means all the
nasties are dying in droves and being expelled from your body.
Hopefully that's what caused it. I took advil Tuesday night because my back
was really killing me. Last time I took advil (months ago) I had the same
IBS trouble.....
indigo
2006-04-28 12:34:23 UTC
Post by indigo
Hopefully that's what caused it. I took advil Tuesday night because
my back was really killing me. Last time I took advil (months ago)
I had the same IBS trouble.....
Oh right, so you think the advil caused the stomach problem? That's
highly possible. Can you take Tylenol instead?
Yes, the last 3 times I've taken advil I had IBS the next day(s). And nope,
Tylenol does didly squat for pain for me. I went to my physician dead on my
feet Wed. and got a refill for my Ultram (Tramadol) scrip pain med
(non-narcotic). It works ok, not as good as advil though since it's not an
anti-inflammatory. Keeps me from going insane from the muscle aches at least
(when they're really bad I feel like stabbing a fork in my thigh).
Chris Wright
2006-04-28 20:07:09 UTC
Post by indigo
Post by indigo
Hopefully that's what caused it. I took advil Tuesday night because
my back was really killing me. Last time I took advil (months ago)
I had the same IBS trouble.....
Oh right, so you think the advil caused the stomach problem? That's
highly possible. Can you take Tylenol instead?
Yes, the last 3 times I've taken advil I had IBS the next day(s). And nope,
Tylenol does didly squat for pain for me. I went to my physician dead on my
feet Wed. and got a refill for my Ultram (Tramadol) scrip pain med
(non-narcotic). It works ok, not as good as advil though since it's not an
anti-inflammatory. Keeps me from going insane from the muscle aches at least
(when they're really bad I feel like stabbing a fork in my thigh).
I have had to stop taking any ibrprofen based drugs because of the same
IBS symptoms. Also found that 'any' artificial sweetener fires off the
same results (only much quicker). And MSG with certain food additives.

It was only in the US that I found I had this reaction to artificial
sweeteners. Back then I used to smoke, and we were only allowed to
smoke outside and the rest of the 'smokers club' used to get through
packets of gum to hide the smell of smoke. I started doing the same and
my IBS got really bad. Finally worked out it was the aspartame in the
gum that was causing it. I've always detested the after taste in diet
coke (or diet anything) and avoided it. But in items such as gum where
the spearmint hides the taste, I didn't really think about the effect.
In the past 3 months I have totally got rid of all IBS type symptoms
just by changing my diet and avoiding ibruprofen and the other food
stuffs. (I already knew I reacted to Voltarol (UK tradename, not sure
of US equiv but its another NSAID), but I never had a reaction to
ibruprofen until I got to the US.

Now all I have to do is get rid of the 'lymes' symptoms, get my back
rewired, have both my hips replaced and I'll be ok... Dang..wheres my gun
indigo
2006-04-28 20:23:47 UTC
Post by Chris Wright
I have had to stop taking any ibrprofen based drugs because of the
same IBS symptoms. Also found that 'any' artificial sweetener fires
off the same results (only much quicker). And MSG with certain food
additives.
How did you know it was the ibuprofen specifically and not the other
chemicals? My chiropractor warned me about switching from Sprite to Diet
Sprite for my mixed drinks, said the sweetener (not aspartame) could cause
me problems.
Post by Chris Wright
It was only in the US that I found I had this reaction to artificial
sweeteners. Back then I used to smoke, and we were only allowed to
smoke outside and the rest of the 'smokers club' used to get through
packets of gum to hide the smell of smoke. I started doing the same
and my IBS got really bad. Finally worked out it was the aspartame
in the gum that was causing it. I've always detested the after taste
in diet coke (or diet anything) and avoided it. But in items such as
gum where the spearmint hides the taste, I didn't really think about
the effect. In the past 3 months I have totally got rid of all IBS
type symptoms just by changing my diet and avoiding ibruprofen and
the other food stuffs.
When was the last time you tried to take ibuprofen, or will you never take
it again? My CT scan showed that I had a mildly inflamed colon, so I guess
that's why I had the bad reaction the other day -- it's not healed yet.
Dunno how long it will take for the inflammation to go away, but I can't
stand the thought of never being able to take advil again, it's the only
over the counter drug that actually relieves minor aches and pains for me.
Chris Wright
2006-04-28 20:43:09 UTC
Post by indigo
Post by Chris Wright
I have had to stop taking any ibrprofen based drugs because of the
same IBS symptoms. Also found that 'any' artificial sweetener fires
off the same results (only much quicker). And MSG with certain food
additives.
How did you know it was the ibuprofen specifically and not the other
chemicals? My chiropractor warned me about switching from Sprite to Diet
Sprite for my mixed drinks, said the sweetener (not aspartame) could cause
me problems.
I've just spent the last 6months on strict controlled diets and every
allergy test you can think of.

We would change my diet and drug intake until the IBS symptoms stopped,
and then reintroduce certain food groups or drugs. As soon as an IBS
type event happened, we would test for an allergy on those food stuffs.
Post by indigo
Post by Chris Wright
[...]
I had a sigmoidoscopy done 6 weeks ago and it showed an inflammation and
polyps. (During the procedure when I was on the whacky juice but awake,
she said she could polyps and said the assistant she needed to take
some samples. I started laughing out loud because I swore she said she
had found Paula Yupps who was a girl I used to work with - honest, she's
never been any where near me)
Anyway, we cut out ibruprofen back then which was purely coincidental
and been clear since then. We never suspected a reaction to it because
up until 3-4 years ago, I could take a bucket load of the stuff and
never have a problem.
indigo
2006-04-28 21:05:13 UTC
Post by Chris Wright
I had a sigmoidoscopy done 6 weeks ago and it showed an inflammation
and polyps. (During the procedure when I was on the whacky juice but
awake, she said she could polyps and said the assistant she needed
to take some samples. I started laughing out loud because I swore
she said she had found Paula Yupps who was a girl I used to work with
- honest, she's never been any where near me)
Heh. I had a colonoscopy last September, everything was clean. So I guess
the inflammation occurred between then and now. And I was knocked out, no
way I want to be awake when someone is rooting around in my ass!
Post by Chris Wright
Anyway, we cut out ibruprofen back then which was purely coincidental
and been clear since then. We never suspected a reaction to it because
up until 3-4 years ago, I could take a bucket load of the stuff and
never have a problem.
Me too! I used to take anywhere from 900-1500 mg per day, and have for
almost 20 years. Now all the sudden my body can't tolerate it? Doesn't make
any sense to me.
D.F. Manno
2006-04-29 21:11:45 UTC
Post by indigo
Yes, the last 3 times I've taken advil I had IBS the next day(s). And
nope, Tylenol does didly squat for pain for me. I went to my physician
dead on my feet Wed. and got a refill for my Ultram (Tramadol) scrip
pain med (non-narcotic). It works ok, not as good as advil though
since it's not an anti-inflammatory. Keeps me from going insane from
the muscle aches at least (when they're really bad I feel like
stabbing a fork in my thigh).
damn, i hope this all goes away soon. how about asking for Celebrex? It's
an NSAID that doesn't have associated stomach side effects
Have you seen the new ads for Celebrex? They begin with a warning: "Important
Information: Celebrex may increase the chance of a heart attack or stroke that
can lead to death."

I'll take my chances with the arthritis pain, thank you very much.
--
D.F. Manno | ***@mail.com
I don't trust organized anything: teams, religions, corporations.
(Alfred Lubrano)
indigo
2006-05-01 13:39:55 UTC
"Important Information: Celebrex may increase the chance of a heart
attack or stroke that can lead to death."
I'll take my chances with the arthritis pain, thank you very much.
Yeah, I googled Celebrex over the weekend (pain levels were thru the roof,
my right big toe hurt so badly I couldn't put any weight on it), I did NOT
like what I read. All Cox-2 inhibitors seem to be very dangerous as far as
stroke/heart attacks go. No way am I taking that stuff.
indigo
2006-04-28 19:32:02 UTC
damn, i hope this all goes away soon. how about asking for Celebrex?
It's an NSAID that doesn't have associated stomach side effects
After the Vioxx fiasco (and I took that for several months a long time ago)
there's no way I'm taking that class of drugs!
Heidi
2006-04-28 01:24:06 UTC
Post by indigo
I had blood drawn for a western blot on Tuesday. Don't think I've had a CD57
test done at all. Man, I felt like roadkill yesterday, today ain't much
better. Have the full blown IBS and fatigue symptoms back, haven't felt like
that in nearly a month. I did read that the 3rd or 4th week of oral
antibiotics can be the worst symptom-wise, so I guess that's the period I'm
going thru now. At least my knee pain is gone......
You should ask for a CD57, it could be a marker of how the treatment is
going, since the only thing known to depress it borrelia, it goes up and
down according to how the antibiotics are working. There's a case study
here:
http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/files/strickercd57.pdf
indigo
2006-04-28 12:36:59 UTC
Post by Heidi
You should ask for a CD57, it could be a marker of how the treatment
is going, since the only thing known to depress it borrelia, it goes
up and down according to how the antibiotics are working. There's a
http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/files/strickercd57.pdf
I'll mention it to the infectious disease guy next week. At least this
flare-up is over with, thank god. Went to bed at 11:00 last night and woke
up at 6:00 am this morning wide awake and feeling clear headed. I guess
sleeping 30 out of the previous 48 hours helped......
indigo
2006-04-28 17:04:11 UTC
He won't know anything about it, I'll guarantee you, so print out the
http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/strickerpanel.html
Thanks, printed out both.
indigo
2006-04-28 17:14:25 UTC
http://www.canlyme.com/lymeconf04.html
Oh great. Since I have late stage Lymes, it looks like I only have a 50%
chance of being cured and may be facing up to 6 more months of antibiotic
treatment that might not even work! THIS SUCKS! No alcohol for 1/2 a
year?!?! 4-6 weeks I was ok with, but SIX MONTHS?!?!
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 18:06:55 UTC
I read that regular alcohol consumption can inhibit the effects of the
antibiotics and/or increase the symptoms of the disease ( I did notice that
if I drank brandy instead of vodka/sprite my fatigue was much worse the next
day, don't know why). Instead of trying to define what "regular consumption"
means in terms of how much and how often (I assume it's different for
everyone in as much as how it affects you), I just decided to quit entirely
until I was better. Hopefully I'll get clarification next week from the
doctor.
Alcohol is a sugar, if you're taking antibiotics and wiping out the good bacteria,
you're going to end up with an imbalance and overgrowth of Candida, which will be fed
by the alcohol, and you'll end up with more GI symptoms. You're taking probiotics,
right, three or four times a day? I would think one drink on the weekends wouldn't
kill you , but not a daily one, that would be counterproductive. If you can't get by
on one drink, you're better off not having any, but that ain't no fun....
indigo
2006-04-28 18:48:32 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Alcohol is a sugar, if you're taking antibiotics and wiping out the
good bacteria, you're going to end up with an imbalance and
overgrowth of Candida, which will be fed by the alcohol, and you'll
end up with more GI symptoms.
Since I've quit drinking I've had an intense craving for sweets. I haven't
had a sweet tooth since I was a teenager! I'm eating one mini-reeses cup
after dinner each night right now, that seems to curb it.

You're taking probiotics, right, three
Post by Spamvireslayer
or four times a day?
Twice a day, before each meal (lunch and dinner).

Post by Spamvireslayer
wouldn't kill you , but not a daily one, that would be
counterproductive. If you can't get by on one drink, you're better
off not having any, but that ain't no fun....
It's just easier not to drink at all, at least for me. Trying to avoid
falling back into that "have a drink after work every night" bad habit I
had.
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 19:53:59 UTC
Post by indigo
Twice a day, before each meal (lunch and dinner).
Take them at bedtime too, give them a chance to work overnight, unless you take
antibiotics then - find a way to work them in three times a day if you can.
Post by indigo
It's just easier not to drink at all, at least for me. Trying to avoid
falling back into that "have a drink after work every night" bad habit I
had.
That WOULD be detrimental, I wouldn't have much to give up, but if I'm told I can't
have it, I want wine with every meal. I have to figure out how to get that to work
in reverse.
indigo
2006-04-28 20:15:19 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Post by indigo
Twice a day, before each meal (lunch and dinner).
Take them at bedtime too, give them a chance to work overnight,
unless you take antibiotics then - find a way to work them in three
times a day if you can.
I eat at 8:00 or so, been going to bed around 10:00, so what's the point of
taking probiotics twice within 2 hours? Oh, I take my second antibiotic pill
around the same time at night (with my meal).
Post by Spamvireslayer
Post by indigo
It's just easier not to drink at all, at least for me. Trying to
avoid falling back into that "have a drink after work every night"
bad habit I had.
That WOULD be detrimental, I wouldn't have much to give up, but if
I'm told I can't have it, I want wine with every meal. I have to
figure out how to get that to work in reverse.
Yeah, if I had a date on my horizon I'd probably have a glass of wine with
dinner, screw the consequences. And I'm going to Ocean City on a golf trip
May 11 - 14, no way I'm going to not have a drink or two at the clubs when
we go out at night. Maybe I'll just make that weekend an "anything goes"
trip, then back on the wagon (if need be) when I get back home. I could use
a nice relaxing no restrictions vacation, that's for sure!
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 20:45:05 UTC
Post by indigo
Yeah, if I had a date on my horizon I'd probably have a glass of wine with
dinner, screw the consequences.
Indeed. Do you know if Lyme is able to be transmitted sexually, by the way? You
should find out before your next encounter....I think it is, actually.
indigo
2006-04-28 21:17:01 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Post by indigo
Yeah, if I had a date on my horizon I'd probably have a glass of
wine with dinner, screw the consequences.
Indeed. Do you know if Lyme is able to be transmitted sexually, by
the way? You should find out before your next encounter....I think it
is, actually.
No way! You're kidding, right? Remember that gal I dated back in 2000, the
one that knew my ex-wife and ran away from our relationship? She had been
suffering from similar fibromyalgia and rhuematoid arthritis symptoms for a
while, I gave her hand and foot massages almost every night to relieve the
pain. She was never diagnosed with anything, but she was always hurting (I
thought it was self-caused by her brain, to be honest, she suffered from an
anxiety disorder). After being with her for a while I started having very
mild similar symptoms......hang on <tappity-tap> it musta been something
else.....unless I got Lyme disease way back then and fought it off until I
had my neck surgeries.....

Lymes disease is caused by Borrelia burgdorferi.
Syphilis is caused by Treponema pallidum. Both have a
spiral bacterial body, hence their name spirochetes.
But whereas T. pallidum can only infect humans, and is
spread by sexual activity, B. burgdorferi needs a tick
as a vector to spread. There are more pathogens that
have developed a life cycle in which an insect is
required to complete the infection cycle, and in some
instances this system has been so much refined, that
without the vector the pathogen can not reinfect a
human host.

So, as far as the data go that I have available, B.
burgdorferi requires the tick as a vector for spread.

Lyme disease is NOT a sexually transmitted disease.
And Treponema is NOT identical to Borrelia.

**and

Tranmission Myths
Fear, ignorance and Internet rumors have also created an environment for
expanding the mythology of Lyme's protean properties far beyond scientific
fact or medical observation. For example, a recent spat of Internet postings
has suggested that Lyme can be acquired through sexual contact.

"I think that Lyme is also a STD [sexual-transmitted disease]," said one
newsgroup poster. Another wrote, "I've talked to many couples who claim they
transmitted to each other through sexual contact. I believe I gave it to my
wife."

At least one "Lyme specialist" appears to be telling patients that Lyme is
sexually transmitted and therefore their family members should be tested.
One person reported to Quackwatch that a family member had been tested and
told that the test was positive and that a 4-5 month course of antibiotics
was necessary.

There is no basis for such advice. The infection is acquired from the bite
of an infected tick. People are "dead end" hosts and do not spread Lyme
infections to others.

The topic of pregnancy and Lyme is also rife with rumor and unnecessary
fear. During a quarter of a century of research and surveillance, there have
been no documented cases of mother-child transmission and no cases of fetal
injury associated with a Lyme infection. Recent attempts to demonstrate
venereal, transplacental and contact transmission of Lyme spirochetes in
hamsters have also failed [25]. In contrast, a case of perinatal
transmission of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis (HGE) was reported in the
New England Journal of Medicine [26]. Like B. burgdorferi, HGE is
transmitted by the Ixodes tick, and simultaneous infections with both have
been reported.
indigo
2006-04-28 20:18:37 UTC
Dunno about that....I mean I LIKE a nice cocktail or 2, you know?
Makes my golf game better for one thing!
only in your mind........
No, it's actually a physical and mental reality. One or two drinks relaxes
most people enough that they actually play golf better (tension is a swing
killer). We can't afford sports psychologists to help us manage the mental
strain, you know! Have a beer, works just as good and a helluva lot cheaper.
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 19:56:46 UTC
Ahem. <pet peeve pedant> It's Lyme, named after a town, not LymeS,
like it was named after a person </pet peeve pedant>
Lyme Regis?
Olde Lyme, CT. You can go there if you like on your little trip, see if you can pick
up a few ticks....
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 19:56:05 UTC
only in your mind........
indigo
doctor.
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 17:41:46 UTC
Post by indigo
http://www.canlyme.com/lymeconf04.html
Oh great. Since I have late stage Lymes, it looks like I only have a 50%
chance of being cured and may be facing up to 6 more months of antibiotic
treatment that might not even work! THIS SUCKS! No alcohol for 1/2 a
year?!?! 4-6 weeks I was ok with, but SIX MONTHS?!?!
Ahem. <pet peeve pedant> It's Lyme, named after a town, not LymeS, like it was named
after a person </pet peeve pedant>

Well you have it, nothing you can do now but treat it and hope for the best. Why no
alcohol, because of the antibiotics?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=doxycycline+alcohol
"Avoid meats, iron-fortified cereals and iron supplements for 2 hours before and
after taking this drug. There are no interactions with alcohol, but combining
doxycycline and alcohol should be avoided if you have active liver disease."
indigo
2006-04-28 19:34:00 UTC
I daresay you'll eventually reach a point where you don't even miss
the alcohol.
NotMe
2006-05-01 01:50:17 UTC

What difference if you are having fun or only think you're having fun?
indigo
2006-05-01 13:42:24 UTC
Why does everyone think I'm joking about this? It's a quantifiable fact!
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 13:01:28 UTC
Post by indigo
I'll mention it to the infectious disease guy next week. At least this
flare-up is over with, thank god. Went to bed at 11:00 last night and woke
up at 6:00 am this morning wide awake and feeling clear headed. I guess
sleeping 30 out of the previous 48 hours helped......
He won't know anything about it, I'll guarantee you, so print out the case study or
better yet this:
http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/strickerpanel.html

and take it with you, it has all the lab codes on it, but it has to be done by
LabCorp.

This is scary:
http://www.canlyme.com/lymeconf04.html
He talked about how the Bb organism has more than 1,500 genes, 132 of which are
functioning genes, making it about six times more complex than the Syphilis
spirochete. Bb evades the immune system with mutations, physical seclusion, and
secreted factors. Scientists have just discovered the first toxic secretion by Bb,
Porin (OMS28), which it probably uses to punch holes in cell membranes.
http://iai.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/72/11/6279
JohnL
2006-04-26 15:38:34 UTC
Post by indigo
Well best of luck to the both of you!
...And back at you.
Post by indigo
Me, I think I'm going back home right now......I feel terrible. Didn't
get into work until an hour ago either. Guessing my Lymes test from
yesterday is going to turn out to still be positive .....
That sucks.
Hang in there and take your meds. There's a solution someplace, hopefully
it doesn't take too long to find it.
indigo
2006-04-27 16:13:36 UTC
Post by JohnL
That sucks.
Hang in there and take your meds. There's a solution someplace,
hopefully it doesn't take too long to find it.
I know what the solution is -- hospital stay with IV antibiotics. But I
couldn't make an appt. with a new infectious disease guy until next
Thursday. No one will admit me for treatment without a consult first
(insurance reasons). Just have to grit my teeth and hope this flareup passes
quickly.

How's your SO doing?
JohnL
2006-04-28 02:39:50 UTC
Post by indigo
Post by JohnL
That sucks.
Hang in there and take your meds. There's a solution someplace,
hopefully it doesn't take too long to find it.
I know what the solution is -- hospital stay with IV antibiotics. But
I couldn't make an appt. with a new infectious disease guy until next
Thursday. No one will admit me for treatment without a consult first
(insurance reasons). Just have to grit my teeth and hope this flareup
passes quickly.
How's your SO doing?
See my previous post. She's getting better. relative to yesterday, but
relative to prior to the surgery, she isn't there as yet.

How long are they going to stick you in the hospital?
indigo
2006-04-28 12:40:26 UTC
Post by JohnL
How long are they going to stick you in the hospital?
Dunno if or when until I see the doctor next week. Found out yesterday that
one of my old co-workers went undiagnosed for 10 years, she's on permanent
disability now! Yikes....
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 17:44:05 UTC
Better not be that kind of treatment. That would make for some seriously
long workdays (I'd have to drive north into the congestion of Baltimore
before going to work, which is south of where I live).
You might be able to get it done at an ambulatory center closer to home - I doubt
very much you'd be hospitalized throughout.
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 18:13:08 UTC
Guess I was/am wishfully thinking that I could go to a hospital for 2-3 days
to get continuous IV treatment and be cured......if the die-off affects are
strong I'm going to wish I was in a hospital bed anyway!
I think it goes on daily or semi weekly for 8-10 weeks, it's not just a couple of
days in a row. You should ask how they do it, I saw one study where they had a home
infusion company come to the house and do it for 10 weeks, they'll probably just have
you go somewhere close to home.
indigo
2006-04-28 18:50:07 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Guess I was/am wishfully thinking that I could go to a hospital for
2-3 days to get continuous IV treatment and be cured......if the
die-off affects are strong I'm going to wish I was in a hospital
bed anyway!
I think it goes on daily or semi weekly for 8-10 weeks, it's not just
a couple of days in a row. You should ask how they do it, I saw one
study where they had a home infusion company come to the house and do
it for 10 weeks, they'll probably just have you go somewhere close to
home.
I'm screwed if that's what it's going to take, I have no sick leave. I'll
have to burn up every hour of vacation I have just to get the IV treatments.
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 19:54:34 UTC
Probably not as bad as you think.....
indigo
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 13:07:00 UTC
Post by indigo
Dunno if or when until I see the doctor next week. Found out yesterday that
one of my old co-workers went undiagnosed for 10 years, she's on permanent
disability now! Yikes....
If they're going to do that, won't they do it as an outpatient thing, just leave the
line in? I can't imagine they'd keep you in the hospital if they're only infusing
you for an hour or so a day, at least I understood that's how it works.
indigo
JohnL
JohnL
2006-04-27 02:47:06 UTC
What did she have done this time, more fusions?
Yep, now 4 discs are fused together.

Today she's a little better. Instead of 9 plus, she was down to a 7 out of
10 with some 8's and 9's if she moved too much. She sat up in a chair, but
could only do that for 10 minutes. Maybe tomorrow they are going to start
her walking.
JohnL
2006-04-28 03:12:34 UTC
Considering that it's so soon after surgery and she's already at
presurgery pain levels, I'd say that's a positive sign, wouldn't you?
Once the inflammation goes down she'll probably feel a lot different,
I'd be really encouraged that she's doing so well so soon. Chin up!!
Yep, should be a good sign, altho her surgeon said she should have felt
immeadiate relief to her left leg after the surgery. Now he says it might
not get much better at all. :( He says that because her leg pain has gone
on for so long, it's very hard to get rid of it.
But even a little improvement would be something. Also, now her right leg
is very weak, something that has never been a problem in the past. That
could very well go away over the next few days.
Around Ronnie, I keep a very positive outlook, and most of the time she
does also. But no matter what, she says NO MORE after this!
indigo
2006-04-28 12:38:57 UTC
What causes the leg pain? that sucks that it may not improve at all
but stay positive... as discussed here, the power of positive
thinking works miracles
Pressure on the sciatic nerve.
Chris Wright
2006-04-28 20:15:46 UTC
Post by indigo
What causes the leg pain? that sucks that it may not improve at all
but stay positive... as discussed here, the power of positive
thinking works miracles
Pressure on the sciatic nerve.
Thatis the leg problem for sure. But the surgeon checked the area this time
and he couldn't see any obvious problems.
Positive thinking helps, but it's hard to think that way when the pain has
been going on for over three years, and that's an everyday, constant pain.
If another doctor tells me that positive thinking and pain management
will get rid of the pain, I might just introduce him to what real pain
is all about.

Constant pain no matter how tiny over a long period is a killer.
A lot of pain constantly over a long period is really getting me down.

The first fusion I had placed a lot of pressure on the sciatic nerve,
and prior to that OP I had a rhysotomy performed which was the worst
thing I ever should have done.
Its ok after they burn the nerve endings, the pain does subside quite a
lot, to almost zero. But they don't warn you about the 'extra' problems
you get when the nerve endings grow back. Its like cutting a piece of
elastic, the two chopped ends withdraw from each other. But then they
start to grow again, but each cut end sends out feelers, so you can have
multiple nerve endings. In 18month to 2 years, two never endings will
eventually meet up and rejoin, and then the brain tells the CNS to
switch back on that path. Unfortunately, you now also have a bundle of
'unterminated' nerve endings that never met up, and cause 'noise' which
turns up as pain signals. So the next time you have a rhysotomy, you
need to cut further and further back until its not longer possible.

Some good advice they gave me.. .Not...
Frog Prince
2006-04-29 12:28:44 UTC
"JohnL" <***@in.newsgroup.only> wrote in message news:***@216.154.195.61...
| Chris Wright <***@gmail.com> wrote in news:e2tt5g$e26$1
| @news.spamcop.net:
|
| > If another doctor tells me that positive thinking and pain management
| > will get rid of the pain, I might just introduce him to what real pain
| > is all about.
|
| That's exactly our feelings on that.
|
| After _FOUR_ 2 month long pain management clinics, she could probably
teach
| the damm stuff, along with the extra warning that it DOES NOT WORK FOR
| EVERYONE!!!!!

That was the very first caution I received when I went to the pain clinic.
Sad part was they were right as the caution applied to my case.
JohnL
2006-04-29 14:06:00 UTC
Post by Frog Prince
That was the very first caution I received when I went to the pain
clinic. Sad part was they were right as the caution applied to my
case.
Yep, my S.O. has all the tapes/CD's , the chants, the exercises and all the
rest. Not much help with any of it. :(
NotMe
2006-05-01 01:49:16 UTC
"JohnL"
| "Frog Prince"

| > That was the very first caution I received when I went to the pain
| > clinic. Sad part was they were right as the caution applied to my
| > case.
|
| Yep, my S.O. has all the tapes/CD's , the chants, the exercises and all
the
| rest. Not much help with any of it. :(

One thing she does have and it DOES make a big difference is a SO that
cares, understands and has not bailed.
JohnL
2006-05-01 02:15:15 UTC
Post by NotMe
One thing she does have and it DOES make a big difference is a SO that
cares, understands and has not bailed.
Thanks for that. ;-)

She get's mean/snippy at times, but there a very good reason. On top of all
the pain, is the worry about what is next, and when she settles down, she
says pretty much what you just did.

I honestly can say that I could not handle all she has gone thru over the
past 9 years.
Frog Prince
2006-05-01 12:25:44 UTC
"JohnL"

| > One thing she does have and it DOES make a big difference is a SO that
| > cares, understands and has not bailed.
|
| Thanks for that. ;-)
|
| She get's mean/snippy at times, but there a very good reason. On top of
all
| the pain, is the worry about what is next, and when she settles down, she
| says pretty much what you just did.
|
| I honestly can say that I could not handle all she has gone thru over the
| past 9 years.

Just reread my post and failed/forgot to mention that I've been on the pain
side and try as I might to control it my wife has had to put up with the
mean/snippy stuff as well.

Still and all having someone who cares who is willing to suffer through the
emotional fallout makes a great difference, perhaps all the difference.
indigo
Can I borrow your wife for a while? ;-)
JohnL
2006-05-01 14:12:29 UTC
I'm real glad you asked for his support system insteand of my S.O.'s. ;-)
indigo
2006-05-01 14:21:09 UTC
Post by JohnL
Post by indigo
Can I borrow your wife for a while? ;-)
I'm real glad you asked for his support system insteand of my S.O.'s. ;-)
You'd have too far to drive anyway :-P

JohnL

EVERYONE!!!!!
JohnL

indigo
2006-04-28 17:21:29 UTC
Positive thinking helps, but it's hard to think that way when the
pain has been going on for over three years, and that's an everyday,
constant pain.
I know somewhat of what she's going thru. I've been living with lower back
pain for 26 years now. Even on "good" days it's a 2 or 3, bad days it's up
around 7-8. The "normal" pain is kinda like background noise, I know it's
there but I'm so used to it I don't really think about it much. Since I've
started my antibiotic treatment the pain level has at least doubled, and so
has my consumption of valium to help dampen the pain.
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 17:50:33 UTC
Thst's been one of my thoughts also. We do trust this doctor, but then
again, a surgeon never likes to admitt a mistake.
They will NEVER admit to making a mistake.....it's an invitation to be sued.
JohnL
2006-04-28 21:34:20 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
They will NEVER admit to making a mistake.....it's an invitation to be sued.
He won't do that, but to his credit, he made the delays in surgery easy for
WCB to accept. He really worked with us to make sure that Worker's Comp
didn't harrass Ronnie too much about delaying the surgery.
Spamvireslayer
2006-04-28 13:03:24 UTC
Post by JohnL
Yep, should be a good sign, altho her surgeon said she should have felt
immeadiate relief to her left leg after the surgery. Now he says it might
not get much better at all. :( He says that because her leg pain has gone
on for so long, it's very hard to get rid of it.
Sorry, but that sounds really lame - what does the length of time have to do with
whether or not it can be lessened?
JohnL
Heidi
2006-04-28 02:53:56 UTC
All in all, we don't see much, if any improvement, but then again, it is
pretty early.
indigo
2006-04-28 12:38:13 UTC
Todat is a lot better. She's off the pump, off all I.V.'s and her
levels are about the same as they were BEFORE her surgery, and her
Morphine usuage is almost down to pre-operation doseage.
That's GREAT news, I'd think!
Hey, it _is_ early, and if it didn't make it any worse that's a win, right?
JohnL
2006-04-28 13:31:33 UTC
Post by indigo
Hey, it _is_ early, and if it didn't make it any worse that's a win, right?
I would agree except that the surgeon had said before the surgery that she
would feel relief as soon as she woke up, which was the opposite of what
happened, and now with the right leg problem (mostly numb, with weakness),
we really do hope it improves.

I'm going to the hospital in a little bit and hope to see her up and around
a little. She wants to go home today and we'll see.
JohnL
2006-04-28 02:23:21 UTC
Well fingers crossed this time it does her some good. Is she getting all
this pain despite some serious painkillers? I suppose she may have
developed a resistance to them after all this time.
She was getting all that pain with MAJOR Morphine, given with a pain pump
both in her I.V. and also directly to her spine.

Todat is a lot better. She's off the pump, off all I.V.'s and her levels
are about the same as they were BEFORE her surgery, and her Morphine usuage
is almost down to pre-operation doseage. Hopefully tomorrow will be even
better. She's feeling good enough that she's perstering the ddoctor to let
her go home tomorrow. Maybe he will, but I hope that he keeps her there at
least one more day.

All in all, we don't see much, if any improvement, but then again, it is
pretty early.
indigo

Spamvireslayer
2006-04-24 17:43:45 UTC
JohnL, FP, Borg, etc.....all MIA for over a week in here?
HMPH!
Chris Wright
2006-04-25 07:34:06 UTC
| JohnL, FP, Borg, etc.....all MIA for over a week in here? Y'all are making
| me work nearly 8 hours a day by not posting anything, dammit!
|
| We need a good political/religious fight to get things going again, I've
| decided......see, I'm the decider, and I've decided that's what we need,
ya
| hear?
|
| So the topic is...should the President have sent 180,000 of our already
| spread too thin troops into Khazistan to set up a peacekeeping roadblock
| between the Russians and Chinese? I think it's a terrible idea, meself.
I had HDD problems all last week.
Then this past Saturday night held the hand of a very good friend as he died
from a massive heart attack. EMS and ER staff did ALL that the could but it
was not to be.
Right now I'm trying to protect his wife from his family. One kid had not
spoken to him in 15+ years, the other infrequently and then only at such
time that the kid needed something. His x-wife has also shown up.
Makes all my own problems so tiny in comparison.
Hope you are ok through it all as well.
My thoughts are with you...

Regards

Chris
Frog Prince
2006-04-25 03:13:29 UTC

indigo
2006-04-26 14:52:26 UTC
Post by Frog Prince
Let's talk about the price of gas instead, I'm sure everyone is real
pissed about THAT!
Too depressing......I'm getting hit with a double whammy (actually everyone
in MD is). Electric bill is going up 73% in July and my gasoline bill is up
almost $100/mo. Totaled together, that's almost a $200/month increase in
bills I'm staring at. Thank $diety I can afford it, but I feel awful for
those on fixed incomes that will have to decide between paying BGE or buying
food and medicine.

And this whole deregulation thing is such a ripoff, and it's directly the
fault of the federal government's FERC bureacracy. The way these electric
markets work now is utilities take bids for electricity every day. Hydro and
nuke power are far and away the cheapest producers, so say they bid to sell
at 6 cents/kw-hour. But BGE needs more power than they can supply, so then
they have to go to coal, then oil, and finally natural gas fired plants. So
the NG plants charge 16 cents/kw-hr. And guess what? EVERYONE GETS 16
CENTS/KW-HR FOR THEIR ELECTRICITY!! Windfall profits for the low cost
producers, and the consumer gets ripped off. And we PAYED for those plants
to be built in the first place when the industry was regulated!