So, how did it get in the tree?
Heidi
2006-05-19 01:05:02 UTC
Yeah. Well. It's a long story! But, anyway, my tractor was up in this
tree, see. So I went to get my chainsaw to get it out of the tree. I cut
a bunch of trees down. Of the weenie little trees, there was this one...
When I cut it down, well, this other big tree fell on my head. Doh!
"NEW RULES! NO MORE SHARP OR ENGINE-Y THING FOR CHARLES..."
Eponym
2006-05-19 12:36:58 UTC
When I cut it down, well, this other big tree fell on my head. Doh!
That explains alot! ;o)
Canopus
2006-05-19 12:55:28 UTC
Yeah. Well. It's a long story! But, anyway, my tractor was up in this
tree, see. So I went to get my chainsaw to get it out of the tree. I cut
a bunch of trees down. Of the weenie little trees, there was this one...
When I cut it down, well, this other big tree fell on my head. Doh!
Anyway, it's all good now. Well, except that I don't have a muffler any
longer. This is, not, in fact, related in any way to being stuck in the
tree. And, it doesn't really change much in the noise the thing makes
given that the manifold is toast. And, heck, my mechanic doesn't even
really care too much about that - he says that I can drive it like that for
the summer. Well, uh, crazy. I always thought you'd burn your valves out
that way. Whatever.
Woo hoo!
Have you ever thought of writing stories for kids? Charley's Farm -
Episode 1 - The Tractor in the Tree. Definitely a top seller for TV.
--
Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
Spamvireslayer
2006-05-19 18:20:30 UTC
Well come on, how did it get up the tree in the first place?
Don't be silly, I drove it there! And, boy, was I ever lucky the brush hog
was on the back!
Oh, the brush hog, Mr. Rent LOVES his brush hog, so much that he breaks it every year
running over boulders and stuff.
Spamvireslayer
2006-05-19 18:32:47 UTC
"Breaks" it? You know, they have sheer pins - that are designed to
"break" when too much stress is applied. It's a simple matter to replace
them. Mind you, I haven't broken one yet! Woot!
His is older, and yes, he broke the blades, and had a damn hard time finding
replacements. He's like Mr. Magoo on speed, he doesn't care what he hits, just
barrels right over....
Anyway, yeah, a brush hog rocks. I'm slowly reclaiming the field as a
field. I'm starting nice and easy with the small stuff (softwoods up to
3" in diameter, hardwoods to 1-2", any size shrub - being extra careful
around the huge bramble bushes!). Oh, no, I started by doing the trail
system. Now you can walk 30ish acres of the lot. I need to do some
serious work on the plow to get that usable - and then I need to take down
a bunch of trees - to be able to use the rest.
I can't believe we didn't think of this before - I know someone else who just loves
clearing brush, maybe you should go down to Crawford and pick up some pointers....
indigo
2006-05-19 20:51:12 UTC
Charles wrote:
I need
to do some serious work on the plow to get that usable - and then I
need to take down a bunch of trees - to be able to use the rest.
TREE KILLER! You are contributing to global warming, dammit! And you call
yourself a greenie. Harrumph!
indigo
2006-05-19 21:38:46 UTC
Charles wrote:
Heck, if I cut all of the trees
down and plowed the whole plot I'd be reversing the effect -
absorbing heat in the soil instead of reflecting it with the leaves
of the tree.
Sorry, it don't work that way. The trees put oxygen and water into the air
as they "breathe", making the air cooler. And the shade makes the ground
cooler, stopping the absorption of heat into the earth (convert sunlight
into their food, you know, that photosynthesis deal?)

Canopus
2006-05-19 19:10:15 UTC
:) Top seller for TV? But then they'd probably have to put the tractor
way way up in the tree. It was only about... Um... Well, not more than 8
feet up in the front...
That's called creative licence. Of course it would best be done with
wooden animated models like Thomas the Tank Engine 8¬))

indigo
2006-05-19 13:40:15 UTC
Yeah. Well. It's a long story! But, anyway, my tractor was up in
this tree, see. So I went to get my chainsaw to get it out of the
tree. I cut a bunch of trees down. Of the weenie little trees,
there was this one... When I cut it down, well, this other big tree
fell on my head. Doh!
Why are you out whacking trees down, Mr. Green Jeans? Bad, bad, Charles!
Anyway, it's all good now. Well, except that I don't have a muffler
any longer. This is, not, in fact, related in any way to being stuck
in the tree. And, it doesn't really change much in the noise the
thing makes given that the manifold is toast. And, heck, my mechanic
doesn't even really care too much about that - he says that I can
drive it like that for the summer. Well, uh, crazy. I always
thought you'd burn your valves out that way. Whatever.
I'd find a new mechanic if I were you, you're right and he's wrong. The
manifold/header system is one of the primary cooling sources for the block
and valves, you break that and you'll fry the engine big time. Happens in
race cars every weekend.
indigo
2006-05-19 14:59:14 UTC
Post by indigo
Why are you out whacking trees down, Mr. Green Jeans? Bad, bad, Charles!
There are too many trees in the world, dude! Our field is being
reclaimed as forest... Well, that would suck! Where would our view
be? Besides, where would the sheep go?
Trees and the fauna they attract are not a pleasant thing to view? What's
gotten into you man? I think you're just on a destructive power binge! The
sheep can see, cain't they? Are you worried they'll bump their poor wittle
heads into those big meanie tree trunks while grazing or what?
indigo
2006-05-19 16:19:39 UTC
Post by indigo
There are too many trees in the world, dude! Our field is being
reclaimed as forest... Well, that would suck! Where would our
view be? Besides, where would the sheep go?
Trees and the fauna they attract are not a pleasant thing to view?
What's gotten into you man? I think you're just on a destructive
power binge! The sheep can see, cain't they? Are you worried
they'll bump their poor wittle heads into those big meanie tree
trunks while grazing or what?
The sheep have nothing on which to graze if it's a forest.
Let them eat cake.
indigo
2006-05-19 20:47:24 UTC
Post by indigo
The sheep have nothing on which to graze if it's a forest.
Let them eat cake.
Ok. And we make cakes from... Wheat, maybe?
And carrots!
indigo
2006-05-19 21:31:40 UTC
Post by indigo
Post by indigo
The sheep have nothing on which to graze if it's a forest.
Let them eat cake.
Ok. And we make cakes from... Wheat, maybe?
And carrots!
Ok, fine. Carrots and wheat grow in ____?
a: forests
b: fields
c: the ground
Spamvireslayer
2006-05-19 18:19:43 UTC
Yeah. Well. It's a long story! But, anyway, my tractor was up in
this tree, see.
You were going up there after the dog right?
Ah, getting warmer! (LOL)
Those barking raptors, that's what you were after.......
Spamvireslayer
2006-05-19 18:23:59 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Those barking raptors, that's what you were after.......
Ooh! We almost drove over a nesting turkey, too! No, that wasn't related
to the tree (or muffler) in any way other than having happened yesterday
and on the tractor.
Hey, maybe it was a turkey in the tree, they do fly you know, and they roost in
trees, I never believed it till I saw it myself.....
Canopus
2006-05-19 19:14:38 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Those barking raptors, that's what you were after.......
Ooh! We almost drove over a nesting turkey, too! No, that wasn't related
to the tree (or muffler) in any way other than having happened yesterday
and on the tractor.
Never mind TV series, I think we're getting close to an Oscar here!

indigo
2006-05-19 20:49:36 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
Those barking raptors, that's what you were after.......
Ooh! We almost drove over a nesting turkey, too! No, that wasn't
related to the tree (or muffler) in any way other than having
happened yesterday and on the tractor.
Ya know, it ain't my place to tell you how to raise your rugrat (that won't
stop me of course ;-).....but you *are* aware of how many kids and adults
are killed each year in tractor accidents, aren't you? You got a baby car
seat or seat belts or sumpthin' in that thing? I sure hope he ain't sitting
on your lap!
indigo
2006-05-19 21:34:09 UTC
I am aware of the dangers. I would have died yesterday have the
brush hog not been on the back. That was a sobering moment.
Coulda been two of you.....then again, I assume you only "drive around" when
he's aboard, you don't do any real work, right? Just be careful out there!
Might want to get him a bike helmet or sumpthin just in case? How's the S.O.
feel about this?