Record temps
JohnL
2006-05-17 22:20:48 UTC
Today we're hitting records all over the place!

Here it's 34(C) - 93(F)

Hottest May 17th in a very long time!!
JohnL
2006-05-17 22:29:10 UTC
holy moly! it's pretty cool and gloomy here, though it was warm and
sunny earlier.... marine layer ya know
Well, 93 where you are is normal temperture. ;-)

Here, anything above the upper 80's is a heat wave.
Berny
2006-05-18 01:48:57 UTC
Here Coolest May weatherI can remember, Highs only about 30
JohnL

To me, about 9 years ago, 34(C) would have felt pretty cool.
Berny
30 C, mid 80's F
Skiwi
2006-05-18 01:57:29 UTC
Post by JohnL
Today we're hitting records all over the place!
Here it's 34(C) - 93(F)
Hottest May 17th in a very long time!!
Coincident though, as the current US Administration says global warming
is not an issue - even with all these record rainfalls / temperatures /
droughts / sea levels / etc, etc <sigh> :-)
JohnL
But, but, it's everywhere except where "they" measure things.
Skiwi
Maybe "they" should get some input from a couple of polar bears? :-P
kram
2006-05-18 04:58:29 UTC
In ***@216.154.195.61
JohnL blathered:
|| Today we're hitting records all over the place!
|| Here it's 34(C) - 93(F)
|| Hottest May 17th in a very long time!!

37 (C) - 100(F) was the high today
just can't wait 'til it warms up 'round here :(

This will be my 3rd summer in the desert ... I'm still trying to figure out
how a Jersey girl who loves the beach ended up _here_

Anywho ... howdy all - I've finally convinced Cox that they never did send
me that modem that I ordered back in March, and I am online and doing well -
one of these days I'm gonna have to explore that question of how? and why?
and ?????? *Las Vegas* ??????? But not tonight....It's too hot :)
--
kk
==
There are no vacant lots in nature. ~anon~
Redstone
2006-05-18 10:18:46 UTC
Post by kram
This will be my 3rd summer in the desert ... I'm still trying to
figure out how a Jersey girl who loves the beach ended up _here_
Same here.. sort of. (3rd summer on westcoast.) I still feel like I'm on
another planet.
Post by kram
Anywho ... howdy all - I've finally convinced Cox that they never did
send me that modem that I ordered back in March, and I am online and
doing well - one of these days I'm gonna have to explore that question
of how? and why? and ?????? *Las Vegas* ??????? But not
tonight....It's too hot :)
Took them 3 months? What did you do? Send them pictures of your computer
setup without the modem?

Just renewed my contract SBC for DSL. Upgraded to 3.0 Mbps. Quite nice.
JohnL
2006-05-18 13:25:27 UTC
You _are_ on another planet. ;-)
kram
2006-05-18 13:50:02 UTC
In ***@216.154.195.61
Redstone blathered:
|| "kram" <***@spamcop.net> wrote in
||| Anywho ... howdy all - I've finally convinced Cox that they never
||| did send me that modem that I ordered back in March, and I am
||| online and doing well - one of these days I'm gonna have to explore
||| that question of how? and why? and ?????? *Las Vegas* ??????? But
||| not tonight....It's too hot :)
|| Took them 3 months? What did you do? Send them pictures of your
|| computer setup without the modem?

They were having a promotion - order 5Mbps service and get the modem for a
penny
I ordered service on March 10. They said because of the demand, it might
take 2 weeks. I told them that I was capable of self-installing, no need for
a tech. They still said 2 weeks. Fine.

On the 25th I started calling. They said the modem was on its way.
lalalalala. On the April 3, they said that my modem had been denied
delivery ---- err???? wha????. My complex office signs for _all_ packages.
They "re-sent" the modem on April 5 --- this time they said they had a
signed receipt for it, But *I* still didn't have the modem. This started an
'inquiry'. more lalala. Finally after discovering that they had delivered to
the wrong address -- twice -- they agreed to send me a new modem. And
because of the delay, instead of the 'penny' reconditioned modem, I
convinced them that I deserved a shiny new one. It arrived for my birthday
:) Last week. I didn't get to it until the day after. The hassle of set up
...aaargh!

|| Just renewed my contract SBC for DSL. Upgraded to 3.0 Mbps. Quite
|| nice.

The only choices for high speed service around here are Cox and Sprint. I
didn't want to be held in thrall to the cable company more than I already
am, so I started looking at Sprint. All of the people I have talked to about
Sprint's DSL service in this area have horror stories about outages and
super slow service, and their horrendous customer service. So....Evil Cox it
is.

I really haven't had a chance to clock my speed yet, just trying to get
caught up on 2 months worth of inbox stuff, a year's worth of missed
upgrades (this machine hasn't been online in a while), etc. I am paying for
5Mbps service though....it *seems* right, but does anyone know of a reliable
tester?
--
kk
==
There are no vacant lots in nature. ~anon~
indigo
2006-05-18 14:33:23 UTC
Post by kram
I really haven't had a chance to clock my speed yet, just trying to
get caught up on 2 months worth of inbox stuff, a year's worth of
missed upgrades (this machine hasn't been online in a while), etc. I
am paying for 5Mbps service though....it *seems* right, but does
anyone know of a reliable tester?
This one is fast and easy (and kewl comparisons)

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

Frog Prince
2006-05-18 13:22:27 UTC
"kram" <***@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:e4gutf$5bd$***@news.spamcop.net...
| In ***@216.154.195.61
| JohnL blathered:
| || Today we're hitting records all over the place!
| ||
| || Here it's 34(C) - 93(F)
| ||

Obviously a big beach but without the waves
indigo
2006-05-18 14:18:17 UTC
Post by kram
This will be my 3rd summer in the desert ... I'm still trying to
figure out how a Jersey girl who loves the beach ended up _here_
Hey, you still got lots of sand, right? Just wing it! And think of all those
great golf course sitting there begging for you to play them! ;-)
Post by kram
Anywho ... howdy all - I've finally convinced Cox that they never did
send me that modem that I ordered back in March, and I am online and
doing well - one of these days I'm gonna have to explore that
question of how? and why? and ?????? *Las Vegas* ??????? But not
tonight....It's too hot :)
Howdy Howdy! Glad to have you back. Oh, try turning on the airco,
dearie.....
Redstone
2006-05-18 10:15:22 UTC
Just like being back in your old neighborhood, eh? :-)
JohnL
2006-05-18 13:26:38 UTC
Post by Redstone
Just like being back in your old neighborhood, eh? :-)
Well, to me at least, with all the humidity up here, it "feels like" over
100(F) !