On non sequiturs
Berny
2006-05-08 02:10:16 UTC
"Charles" <***@sneakemail.com> wrote in message news:***@216.154.195.61...
SNIPPED
edition). Whatever. So... When I'm done with it, anyone want to
permanently borrow my copy or should I just burn it?
Extract revenge and profit, sell it to a used bookstore.Or donate it to a
library and take the small tax deduction.
Mike Easter
2006-05-08 05:41:21 UTC
or should I just
burn it?
It's been burned /before/, by English customs and I'm sure others.

The first publication was as a serialization in a magazine -- which
ended with the magazine's editors being convicted in the US in 1921of
publishing obscenity. It remained banned in the US for quite a number
of years, until 1933, when its US Supreme Court trial decision and Judge
J. Woolsey changed the obscenity map breaking the influence of 'Comstock
Law' on obscenity prevalent until then.

Maybe that's how it got some of its popularity and reputation, by
important authors and other personages raving about its literary value
to get it past the obscenity problem.
--
Mike Easter
kibitzer, not SC admin
indigo
2006-05-18 14:12:06 UTC
Charles wrote:
The best
book of the century was obviously, um, hmm.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, hands down.
indigo
2006-05-18 16:19:56 UTC
Post by indigo
The best book of the century was obviously, um, hmm.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, hands down.
No chance. For one, it's not a book. For another it's rubbish!
How dare ye! Wash that mouth out with soap!
indigo
2006-05-18 16:53:42 UTC
Post by indigo
Post by indigo
The best book of the century was obviously, um, hmm.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, hands down.
No chance. For one, it's not a book. For another it's rubbish!
How dare ye! Wash that mouth out with soap!
Those are fingers and not a mouth - I don't need to mouth the letters
as I type, thank you! Obviously someone else does :)
May the juice boxes of a thousand children spill on your keyboard then......
indigo
2006-05-18 21:33:40 UTC
Post by indigo
Those are fingers and not a mouth - I don't need to mouth the
letters as I type, thank you! Obviously someone else does :)
May the juice boxes of a thousand children spill on your keyboard then......
Which thousand children? My kids don't drink -anything- from a
little box and they don't drink juice, either. That's just setting
kids up to be overweight...
Where do they get their vitamin C from?
Chris Wright
2006-05-18 22:46:45 UTC
Post by indigo
Post by indigo
May the juice boxes of a thousand children spill on your keyboard then......
Which thousand children? My kids don't drink -anything- from a
little box and they don't drink juice, either. That's just setting
kids up to be overweight...
Where do they get their vitamin C from?
Uh. Fresh fruits and vegetables. What? Are you smoking crack, or
something? Or have you just fallen for the BS marketing that you see every
day on TV? Seriously, dude.
But there is loads of Vit C in cartons of juice.

(Well they have to add something after they have boiled the taste,
goodness out of it. Then to hide the taste of the Vit C, they have to
add loads of sugar. Unless its the 'healthy' option, then they add loads
of artificial sugar which will be the next poison in a few years time
when our kids bodies have forgotten how to digest real sugars).

Cartons.. pah... Get A Juicer... Give Kids a Chance...
(Just teach them how to clear up the messy things)
Heidi
2006-05-18 23:45:56 UTC
Post by Chris Wright
But there is loads of Vit C in cartons of juice.
There is also way too much sugar without the fiber to slow its getting to
the bloodstream, which makes you shoot insulin, which eventually will make
you fat....
Porpoise
2006-05-19 00:21:41 UTC
Post by Chris Wright
(Well they have to add something after they have boiled the taste,
goodness out of it. Then to hide the taste of the Vit C, they have to add
loads of sugar. Unless its the 'healthy' option, then they add loads of
artificial sugar which will be the next poison in a few years time when
our kids bodies have forgotten how to digest real sugars).
Cartons.. pah... Get A Juicer... Give Kids a Chance...
(Just teach them how to clear up the messy things)
Sounds to me like you guys are confusing "juices" with "manufactured
flavoured drinks".
Heidi
2006-05-19 01:17:31 UTC
Post by Porpoise
Sounds to me like you guys are confusing "juices" with "manufactured
flavoured drinks".
Fruit juice is pure sugar, no fiber no nothing, goes straight into the
bloodstream. That's not good for your pancreas......
Chris Wright
2006-05-19 07:41:04 UTC
Post by Heidi
Post by Porpoise
Sounds to me like you guys are confusing "juices" with "manufactured
flavoured drinks".
Fruit juice is pure sugar, no fiber no nothing, goes straight into the
bloodstream. That's not good for your pancreas......
The first line of my reply was in jest...

Home made fruit juice contains a lot of pulp, unless you subsequently
filter it out.

Also, apple juice (filtered or not), is said to help with a low g.i
diet. A 'small' glass (i.e. not pints of the stuff) taken with a meal
can effectively help lower the g.i of the meal.

I try to make as much juice of our own as we can (allows me to add
carrot to nearly everything as a base, kids don't realise). But any
juice I do buy has to have no additives, its still made from
concentrated source I suppose, but they drink loads of water as well, so
I just keep an eye on it. Can't take all the sugar away from kids,
Chris Wright
2006-05-19 13:45:28 UTC
Post by Chris Wright
Can't take all the sugar away from kids,
If we're just talking processed sugar, we can come really close.
That aside, why have 'em drink fruit juices if they're happy eating the
fruit?
They get both... plenty of fruit (in their packed lunches), and fruit
with meals at home and for snacks.

But we make our own fruit juice to have with meals at home as well.
Carrot and Celery with Apple Juice is their favorite.

As I mentioned above, by using certain juices you can improve the g.i of
the meal, which effectively slows down the absorption of the food
spreading it out over a longer period.

Also rather than use 'off the shelf' remedies for colds and flu, hay
fever, etc etc, home made fruit juices can play a big part in this.

It can be hell to get kids to eat certain vegetables, so making up fresh
orange or apple juice and adding other 'natural' ingredients lets them
think they are drinking fruit juice when really they are getting much
more. The natural sugars in the fruit juice help soften the taste of
the other veg.
Chris Wright
2006-05-19 16:52:54 UTC
Post by Chris Wright
As I mentioned above, by using certain juices you can improve the g.i of
the meal, which effectively slows down the absorption of the food
spreading it out over a longer period.
You don't think that those fruits themselves would do the same thing? Just
curious, eh.
They do get their 5 fruits and veg a day, but its a good way of
complimenting a meal that doesn't have a lot of veg with it.

I don't stop my kids from eating their chips (although my two boys are
not fans of them, but my daughter could eat every chip shop in the south
of England out of business given the chance). We'll make home made
burgers or meatballs and have those with pasta, so making a decent home
made juice gives them the fruit and veg..

9/10 of they will eat fruit for desert as well...
Post by Chris Wright
It can be hell to get kids to eat certain vegetables, so making up fresh
orange or apple juice and adding other 'natural' ingredients lets them
think they are drinking fruit juice when really they are getting much
more. The natural sugars in the fruit juice help soften the taste of
the other veg.
Sounds fair, I suppose. You've got to be sneaky...
Luckily, the older they get, the less sneaky I am having to be...
Chris Wright
2006-05-19 19:40:47 UTC
Post by Chris Wright
Luckily, the older they get, the less sneaky I am having to be...
LOL! Next thing we know your boys will be turning down chips and asking
for tofu :)
Oh no... they'd rather eat my wifes cooking than that stuff...
Heidi
2006-05-18 23:42:17 UTC
Uh. Fresh fruits and vegetables. What? Are you smoking crack, or
something? Or have you just fallen for the BS marketing that you see
every
day on TV? Seriously, dude.
What does he eat? Most kids that age are so fussy about what they eat it's
a wonder they survive, somehow they manage. Does he eat things like
broccoli and peppers, how about papaya?
indigo
2006-05-19 13:16:12 UTC
Charles wrote:
. So when
we do things like make homemade pizza he says.... "No want pizza!
Want tofu!"
You are ruining that poor boy! Not eating real pizza is downright
un-American! Tofu....sheesh.... *grumble*.... there's studies showing that
crap ain't all it's made out to be either, you know.....

"Tofu Shrinks Brain!" Not a science fiction scenario, this sobering soybean
revelation is for real. But how did the "poster bean" of the '90s go wrong?
Apparently, in many ways -- none of which bode well for the brain.

In a major ongoing study involving 3,734 elderly Japanese-American men,
those who ate the most tofu during midlife had up to 2.4 times the risk of
later developing Alzheimer's disease. As part of the three-decade long
Honolulu-Asia Aging Study, 27 foods and drinks were correlated with
participants' health. Men who consumed tofu at least twice weekly had more
cognitive impairment, compared with those who rarely or never ate the
soybean curd. [1,2]

"The test results were about equivalent to what they would have been if they
were five years older," said lead researcher Dr. Lon R. White from the
Hawaii Center for Health Research. For the guys who ate no tofu, however,
they tested as though they were five years younger.

What's more, higher midlife tofu consumption was also associated with low
brain weight. Brain atrophy was assessed in 574 men using MRI results and in
290 men using autopsy information. Shrinkage occurs naturally with age, but
for the men who had consumed more tofu, White said "their brains seemed to
be showing an exaggeration of the usual patterns we see in aging."

and:

Concerns About Giving Soy to Infants

The most serious problem with soy may be its use in infant formulas. "The
amount of phytoestrogens that are in a day's worth of soy infant formula
equals 5 birth control pills," says Mary G. Enig, Ph.D., president of the
Maryland Nutritionists Association. She and other nutrition experts believe
that infant exposure to high amounts of phytoestrogens is associated with
early puberty in girls and retarded physical maturation in boys. [5]

A study reported in the British medical journal Lancet found that the "daily
exposure of infants to isoflavones in soy infant-formulas is 6-11 fold
higher on a bodyweight basis than the dose that has hormonal effects in
adults consuming soy foods." (A dose, equivalent to two glasses of soy milk
per day, that was enough to change menstrual patterns in women. [6]) In the
blood of infants tested, concentrations of isoflavones were 13000-22000
times higher than natural estrogen concentrations in early life. [7]
indigo
2006-05-19 15:01:15 UTC
Post by indigo
Concerns About Giving Soy to Infants
Well, this bear may be of little brain, but there's no way my kids
drink formula so this bit seems a bit of an aside.
I think the whole part of what I pasted was that too much soy in young kids
is bad for them. I say ALL tofu crap is bad, period.
Spamvireslayer
2006-05-19 18:23:10 UTC
I wonder if it's the tofu doing damage or what they're not eating
instead (ie animal protein) being absent.
Of if it's the processing - somewhere along the line - of the use of
('merican-made) GMO soy beans or ...
There's different kinds of soy, too much soy isn't good for your thyroid, especially
those supplements-evil stuff....and soy is in EVERYTHING....
Chris Wright
2006-05-19 19:42:13 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
and soy is in EVERYTHING....
"It's in my brain now."
Sat right next to the BSE...

Dang were screwed... Where's my carton of Ribeena gone...
indigo
2006-05-19 20:46:19 UTC
Post by Spamvireslayer
I wonder if it's the tofu doing damage or what they're not eating
instead (ie animal protein) being absent.
Of if it's the processing - somewhere along the line - of the use of
('merican-made) GMO soy beans or ...
There's different kinds of soy, too much soy isn't good for your
thyroid, especially those supplements-evil stuff....and soy is in
EVERYTHING....
SEE?! Even the ever-aware Heidster agrees with me. Your goose is cooked
Charles, give it up!
indigo
Ssshhhh! It's the tofu, I'm telling you! Don't give Chaz an out! ;-)
indigo
2006-05-19 20:44:13 UTC
Of course he eats broccoli - for dinner tonight with his whole-wheat
pasta with spinach pesto, for example. Kids are only ask for CRAP
because people give them CRAP. We don't give him any crap. So when
we do things like make homemade pizza he says.... "No want pizza!
Want tofu!"
maybe your home made pizza is horrid LOL
Yeah, Charles probably puts tofu fake pepperoni on it!
indigo
2006-05-19 13:10:58 UTC
Uh. Fresh fruits and vegetables. What? Are you smoking crack, or
something? Or have you just fallen for the BS marketing that you see
every day on TV? Seriously, dude.
Are you sure that works? I thought a growing child could only get sufficient
Vitamins from fortified sugary drinks that contain at minimum 10% real fruit
juice!
Chris Wright
2006-05-19 13:46:54 UTC
Post by indigo
Are you sure that works? I thought a growing child could only get sufficient
Vitamins from fortified sugary drinks that contain at minimum 10% real fruit
juice!
LOL

As sponsored by your local dentist.
Porpoise
2006-05-19 00:19:48 UTC
Post by indigo
Those are fingers and not a mouth - I don't need to mouth the letters
as I type, thank you! Obviously someone else does :)
May the juice boxes of a thousand children spill on your keyboard then......
Which thousand children? My kids don't drink -anything- from a little box
and they don't drink juice, either. That's just setting kids up to be
overweight...
Huh? Juice makes kids overweight??? Juice?? What happens if you eat the
whole fruits and/or vegetables the juices are extracted from then?

Or did you really mean fizzy drinks - not juices...........
Heidi
2006-05-19 01:07:03 UTC
vitamins, just eating the fruit is far healthier and doesn't lead to bad
habits - like the bad habit of ingesting sweat (fruit or other) drinks
throughout the day.
Sweat drinks? BLEH!!! That's a bit too natural for me, dude......
indigo
2006-05-19 13:17:37 UTC
Post by Heidi
vitamins, just eating the fruit is far healthier and doesn't lead
to bad habits - like the bad habit of ingesting sweat (fruit or
other) drinks throughout the day.
Sweat drinks? BLEH!!! That's a bit too natural for me, dude......
What do they do, milk the armpits of thousands of roofers and contruction
workers? How do they get rid of the smell?!!
Frog Prince
2006-05-19 00:41:37 UTC

The kid gets all of the good stuff without having too many calories.
indigo
2006-05-18 18:42:11 UTC
Post by indigo
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, hands down.
ROFL. It was an enjoyable story but it's not the best book I've ever
read.
You heathens....
D.F. Manno
2006-05-19 20:11:59 UTC
Post by indigo
The best book of the century was obviously, um, hmm.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, hands down.
One of the few books to inspire me to utter the Eight Deadly Words.
--
D.F. Manno | ***@mail.com
Had enough? Vote Democratic!
indigo
2006-05-19 20:47:00 UTC
Eh wot? Different from Carlin's 7 dirty words?
indigo
2006-05-19 21:46:34 UTC
Post by indigo
Post by D.F. Manno
One of the few books to inspire me to utter the Eight Deadly Words.
Eh wot? Different from Carlin's 7 dirty words?
You never heard that phrase?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Deadly_Words
Nope, never heard of it and that page won't load for me.